Taking the high-level objectives set out in the Shift2Rail Master Plan as a starting point, and considering the potential of ERTMS to offer increased functionalities and become even more competitive, the high-level objectives for IP2 can be summarized as follows:
- Enhance overall line capacity throughout a better use of infrastructure by operating more trains on the same line and with a more flexible use of the vehicles on the line.
- Contribute to railway system life-cycle cost reduction throughout a reduction in the capital cost of signalling and telecom infrastructures, maintenance costs and the consumption of energy.
- Increase of operational reliability fundamentally with the use of more reliable technologies and components as well as architectures more simples and suitable to continued operation in case of failure.
- Maintain ERTMS as a basis for any evolution, extending the new signalling and traffic management system to all railway transportation segment.
- Ensure continuity and backwards compatibility with the current signalling and supervision systems bust fostering the highest integration possible.